As if the weekend doesn’t go fast enough it was DST spring forward in the US. Nothing like getting to Monday a little earlier, eh?!! The time shift appeared to throw off the blog this week a bit so welcome to Motivational Music Monday on Wednesday 🙂 To lighten everything up and for those that still have the change coming, here’s a couple topical meme’s.
I really would like to advocate this one:
But, if you are still struggling, we got coffee 🙂
We did have some fun over the weekend as we decided to head out and run a different trail. We are very fortunate in the Seattle region to have hundreds of miles of very well maintained trails to run and bike. We live within a quarter mile of one that we can run or bike uninterrupted for over 30 miles. Many of the pictures on this site are from our local Centennial trail.
On Sunday we decided to venture out to Bothell, about a 30 minute drive south, to explore the Sammamish River trail. This is another amazing area where urban meets rural with the trail following the Sammamish River. To the west it connects to another trail, the Burke-Gilman that takes the runner, walker, cyclist right into Seattle. For this run we stayed on the east side following the trail through the Woodinville wineries and breweries. We plan on going back in a couple weeks so I’ll get better pictures.
My long run distance this week was scheduled for 16 miles. After a tough run a couple weeks ago, I was hoping for a better afternoon in the rain on Sunday. It was a lot of fun heading somewhere new – we likened it to a race day without the race day stress or having to try to run fast 🙂 Our “race” started sometime around 1:30’ish, there were plenty of bathroom options, and we parked next to Starbucks for “post-race” recovery options.
It was a great run – my target long run pace is 9:29 and I averaged 9:25 for the 16 miles. Running an 8 mile out and back, my turning point was in Redmond, close to where I started the Lake Sammamish Half last weekend. Splits were mostly consistent, varying by only 18 seconds after mile 4, and only 6 seconds during miles 9-14. Fatigue from the long training week kicked in around mile 14 or so but I felt strong enough to close it out and make it to our “finish line.”
I mentioned the fatigue from the training week. Total mileage for last week was 53.5 which is the most for me in a long time. The speed workout transitioned to a “strength” run session; 6×1 mile splits at 8:30 with 1/4 mile recovery. This was followed up with a tough 8 mile tempo run before a merciful rest day Friday. I continue to progress with the Hansons plan with about 5 weeks remaining of hard training.
Music and Stuff
Time to get to the main point of this post!
You can find the Motivational Music Monday playlist on Spotify via my user name jamhar2016.
- MMM #1: OneRepublic – Love Runs Out
- MMM #2: Eminem – ‘Till I Collapse
- MMM #3: Pink Floyd – Run Like Hell
- MMM #4: Drowning Pool – Bodies
- MMM #5: Flo Rida – In the Ayer
- MMM #6: Lady Gaga – Poker Face
- MMM #7: DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
- MMM #8: Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
- MMM #9: Alien Ant Farm – Smooth Criminal
- MMM #10: Prince – Little Red Corvette
- MMM #11: Train – 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
- MMM #12: X Ambassadors – Jungle
- MMM #13: Garbage – Only Happy When it Rains
- MMM #14: Michael Buble – Sway
- MMM #15: Elvis and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Burning Love
- MMM #16: Fitz and the Tantrums – The Walker
- MMM #17: Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll
- MMM #18: A Flock of Seagulls – I Ran
- MMM #19: The Commitments – Mustang Sally
- MMM #20: Kongos – Come With Me Now
- MMM #21: Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
- MMM #22: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – If You Leave
- MMM #23: Adele – Set Fire To The Rain
- MMM #24: Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
- MMM #25: The Chainsmokers featuring Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- MMM #26: Whitesnake – Here I Go Again
- MMM #27: AC/DC – It’s A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)
- MMM #28: Sia featuring Sean Paul – Cheap Thrills
- MMM #29: Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- MMM #30: The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
- MMM #31: The Beastie Boys – No Sleep Till Brooklyn
- MMM #32: Maroon 5 – Harder To Breathe
- MMM #33: Simply Three – Counting Stars
- MMM #34: Usher – Yeah!
- MMM #35: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop
- MMM #36: Paul McCartney, The Beatles – Birthday Song
- MMM #37: Michael Buble – Blue Christmas
- MMM #38: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen w/Adam Lambert – Dont Stop Me Now
- MMM #39: Nathaniel Rateliff And The Night Sweats – S.O.B.
- MMM #40: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- MMM #41: Nirvana and 2 Cellos – Smells Like Teen Spirit
Week 41 Reader Picks
This is the bit where I shout out the selections that everyone else contributed. Thank you to everyone that commented – it’s always fun to share stories from the week and a song once in a while.
- A Little Respect/Erasure from Paula Kaye at Neveradullbling
- By The Way/Red Hot Chili Peppers from Dorothea at Wanderwolf Running
- The World in Union/Kiri Te Kanawa from Mum in the Motherland
Coffee and Treats
One of the many benefits (that I probably go on about too much) of working at Starbucks HQ is getting to see all the new incredible promotions as they roll out. The Macchiato line of beverages has been very popular and a couple weeks ago some new mixes were launched. I had to jump in on the Iced Cinnamon Almondmilk Macchiato just so I could share on the blog! It looked fabulous and tasted incredible 🙂
Here’s the link to the full story and a couple of other flavor variations.
Oh, there was beer this week too…Friday evening happy hour courtesy of Black Raven Brewery (from Redmond, WA). A vanilla blueberry infused IPA with organic mountain grown catnip and appropriately named the Kitty Kat Blues. I tied back into the running theme by serving in a 2016 Rock N Roll Seattle Marathon pint glass, cheers!
It’s time for the pick of the week. And, we’re going back in time to stay with the theme this week with an iconic song from an iconic Eighties diva. And, I’ll freely admit this 80’s rockin’ beat is on a playlist somewhere.
Cher – If I Could Turn Back Time
- Do you ever explore new areas or trails to run? Any inspiring ones recently?
- Eighties song that rocks your list? Actually anything goes that you want to add is just fine 🙂
- Do you like coffee?
‘Till next time,
Run safe, run strong, run happy!