Motivational Music Monday on a Tuesday
It’s the start of another week and time for Motivational Music Monday coming to you on Tuesday (in a couple of timezones) for the 44th edition in the series. Tuesday is not a normal writing day for me, at least not for the past couple of months, as it’s designated speed training day. And, after a full day, commute, speed training ranging from 400 meter interval to 3×2 miles strength runs, there’s no time for the website. I should be running a double 5K today but instead I’m writing. There has been a change so let’s get to the news for this week.
Among other subjects, my last post discussed dialing in my marathon training paces. Training for the most part is going great. I’m pushing hard hitting the workouts. I’ve missed just two scheduled runs at the beginning due a bad cold virus. And, I absolutely feel stronger and faster…fatigued at times for sure but that comes with the territory. With all that in mind, I’m not going to be running a marathon in Reno in April. That sounds strange especially with training going well and being healthy.
WTF No Marathon???
Before you all come to the conclusion that I’ve taken leave of my senses, let me explain! All that training is not going to waste. In fact we are adding a new race to our agenda. It is only 5 weeks after Reno so my training will still apply. The plan is to still race at The Downtown River Run on April 30 but I will drop to the half. I will adjust for the next 4 weeks maintaining the same foundation of my workouts, although I will take an extra rest day. After we return from Reno, I will resume the same Hansons plan at the same stage I am at right now.
Why change now? Over the past few weeks I’ve been having some doubts as to whether Reno is the right race for me to attempt a new marathon PR. My focus this year is different and while I haven’t gone into much depth yet, I have some specific race goals for this year at the 26.2 distance. Having put so much effort into this training cycle, I’ve decided that the elevation gain of over 1100 ft raced at the (almost) mile high altitude, will not provide the best marathon opportunity that I am looking for right now.
I’m still excited to go to Reno and hopefully run a fast (for me) half. I’m hoping to get back under 1:50 again…I would be thrilled with a 1:47-1:48. This would then, in turn, hopefully set me up for a strong outing at the North Olympic Discovery Marathon on June 4th. It is a spectacular race on the North Olympic peninsula of Washington. I will get into more details about the new race in a later post but the course is a point to point from Sequim Bay to Port Angeles. While there are some hills, the race is of course at sea level and has a much more favorable elevation profile for my PR attempt.
We visited the Port Angeles area last year and are super excited to be returning again to participate in the event. As an added bonus, Mum will be visiting from England so we will make it a fun family trip. Additionally, it is a BibRave featured/promoted event so there will be an opportunity for my first BibRave race meetup!
Here’s a few pictures from our summer break in the area last year, then it’s time for tunes, coffee, and beer!
Music and Stuff
Time to get to the main point of this post!
You can find the Motivational Music Monday playlist on Spotify via my user name jamhar2016.
- MMM #1: OneRepublic – Love Runs Out
- MMM #2: Eminem – ‘Till I Collapse
- MMM #3: Pink Floyd – Run Like Hell
- MMM #4: Drowning Pool – Bodies
- MMM #5: Flo Rida – In the Ayer
- MMM #6: Lady Gaga – Poker Face
- MMM #7: DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
- MMM #8: Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
- MMM #9: Alien Ant Farm – Smooth Criminal
- MMM #10: Prince – Little Red Corvette
- MMM #11: Train – 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
- MMM #12: X Ambassadors – Jungle
- MMM #13: Garbage – Only Happy When it Rains
- MMM #14: Michael Buble – Sway
- MMM #15: Elvis and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Burning Love
- MMM #16: Fitz and the Tantrums – The Walker
- MMM #17: Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll
- MMM #18: A Flock of Seagulls – I Ran
- MMM #19: The Commitments – Mustang Sally
- MMM #20: Kongos – Come With Me Now
- MMM #21: Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
- MMM #22: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – If You Leave
- MMM #23: Adele – Set Fire To The Rain
- MMM #24: Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
- MMM #25: The Chainsmokers featuring Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- MMM #26: Whitesnake – Here I Go Again
- MMM #27: AC/DC – It’s A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)
- MMM #28: Sia featuring Sean Paul – Cheap Thrills
- MMM #29: Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- MMM #30: The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
- MMM #31: The Beastie Boys – No Sleep Till Brooklyn
- MMM #32: Maroon 5 – Harder To Breathe
- MMM #33: Simply Three – Counting Stars
- MMM #34: Usher – Yeah!
- MMM #35: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop
- MMM #36: Paul McCartney, The Beatles – Birthday Song
- MMM #37: Michael Buble – Blue Christmas
- MMM #38: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen w/Adam Lambert – Dont Stop Me Now
- MMM #39: Nathaniel Rateliff And The Night Sweats – S.O.B.
- MMM #40: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- MMM #41: Nirvana and 2 Cellos – Smells Like Teen Spirit
- MMM #42: Cher – Turn Back Time
- MMM #43: Panic! At The Disco – Victorious
Week 43 Reader Picks
Thank you to everyone that commented and checked in with a song or selection for us all to enjoy!
- Addicted/Saving Abel from Chris at Random Thoughts from 5,347 feet
- Immortals/Fallout Boy from Dorothea at Wanderwolf Running
- Notorious/Duran Duran from Paula Kaye at Neveradullbling
Keep ’em coming, I’m always looking for more to add to my Spotify Library!
Coffee and Stuff
Remember that Iced Cinnamon Almondmilk Macchiato from a couple weeks ago? Just in case you didn’t they put it up on a huge wall just down the street from HQ to remind everyone 🙂
This week, I’m trying the warm version on the left and that’s my coffee pick for you. If you see these at your local store, I highly recommend giving them a try. The iced version would be wonderful after a warm run or bike. And, the hot version is just goodness in a cup 🙂
We got beer too! Chris has been enjoying a Resolute Brewing Hefeweizen, Dorothea in St. Patricks Day tradition recommended her family’s corned beef, cabbage, Irish beer and a shot of Irish Whisky…and all this from sunny Florida, sounds like a party to me! And, Donna from Running To Travel made her traditional Irish Brown bread with her daughter which sounds amazing.
A couple weeks back I shared a fabulously named beer called the Kitty Kat Blues. This week, I have another local IPA – Bastard Kat from the Kulshan Brewery in Bellingham, WA.
Doesn’t that just look refreshing…it was 🙂
I’ve rambled on enough…time to close with a song. And, given the theme of chasing PRs this week, I got an aptly named song with a great running beat.
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down A Dream
- Any thoughts or advice on changing races late into a training cycle? Does it even make sense?
- What are you chasing right now?
- Coffee, beer, tea, wine, shots…what are you sipping this week?
‘Till next time,
Run safe, run strong, run happy!