Motivational Music Monday on a Tuesday (or Wednesday)
And, once again it’s time for the weekly wrap and music, coffee, and beer! It was another busy week as you might have noticed with Motivational Music Monday coming to you on Wednesday in most timezones. But, it is still Tuesday on the left coast of the US, and Hawaii 🙂 Last week I broke the news of the change in the race calendar to accommodate a better chance at a marathon PR at the North Olympic Discovery Marathon. I won’t deny the extra rest day has been nice and allowed for a little extra recovery. Although I’ve felt a bit guilty at times from backing down from the original plan.
This week, I’m going to lead off with more race news! Those of you that follow me or Paula on social media and/or Paula’s blog most likely have noticed this image by now.
We got the JSYK I’m In notification Thursday morning and we were both super excited. In October, we will heading to Washington DC to #RunWithTheMarines. This will be Paula’s first (and quite possibly only) full marathon and I don’t think she could have chosen a more amazing or inspirational event than the Marine Corps Marathon. She wrote about her excitement of being drawn from the lottery over, along with a couple other comments! There are lots of details to be planned, not to mention training to be completed. For this race, I am going to pace her and help her get to the finish. It is the very least I can do after all the support she has given me in my crazy marathon quests over the years. It will be quite the journey together!
We’ve got a few races to go though before October, starting this weekend with the Seahawks 12K Run At The Landing. This one should be fun, finishing at the Seahawks training facility on the east shore of Lake Washington. And, we finally get our coveted “12” bling, and a PR assuming we finish given we have never raced that distance before 🙂
The non-race news
With the extra rest day last week, the schedule felt a bit strange. I think for the most part it felt good. I still managed 38 miles for the week including a hard 8 mile tempo run on Wednesday and a decent 15 miler on Sunday. My long run pace was just over 9:15 and my tempo was around 8:00. I certainly could have ran harder or longer if needed on the long run so I’ll take that as a good sign. The hard work that Hansons put me through is having an effect. We’ll have a better indication at the half in Reno and then it’s back for the final immersion into the remaining 5 weeks of the marathon plan.
The sun even came out again for Sunday’s run!
I also completed my first product test for BibRave. I spent about 5-6 weeks testing the BeachBody Performance system and you can read the results in my review. I’m enjoying getting to know the team of BibRavePros. They are a fun and supportive group and the BibRave website is very useful for gathering information on a race that you may be interested in running. You can also add your own review at anytime and there are no fees for membership. I’m continuing with my product evaluations which currently include the RoadID Elite ID Band and a set of pack-it Sports gear bags from Eagle Creek. More to come on those products over the next couple weeks but I do have discounts to offer on both of them on the Gear Discounts page if you are interested.
Music and Stuff
Time to take a look at the playlist. I think this list is getting a bit long so I’m likely going to move the historical list to a dedicated page. But, for this week it’s in the normal place.
You can find the Motivational Music Monday playlist on Spotify by searching my user name jamhar2016.
- MMM #1: OneRepublic – Love Runs Out
- MMM #2: Eminem – ‘Till I Collapse
- MMM #3: Pink Floyd – Run Like Hell
- MMM #4: Drowning Pool – Bodies
- MMM #5: Flo Rida – In the Ayer
- MMM #6: Lady Gaga – Poker Face
- MMM #7: DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
- MMM #8: Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
- MMM #9: Alien Ant Farm – Smooth Criminal
- MMM #10: Prince – Little Red Corvette
- MMM #11: Train – 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
- MMM #12: X Ambassadors – Jungle
- MMM #13: Garbage – Only Happy When it Rains
- MMM #14: Michael Buble – Sway
- MMM #15: Elvis and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Burning Love
- MMM #16: Fitz and the Tantrums – The Walker
- MMM #17: Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll
- MMM #18: A Flock of Seagulls – I Ran
- MMM #19: The Commitments – Mustang Sally
- MMM #20: Kongos – Come With Me Now
- MMM #21: Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
- MMM #22: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – If You Leave
- MMM #23: Adele – Set Fire To The Rain
- MMM #24: Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
- MMM #25: The Chainsmokers featuring Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- MMM #26: Whitesnake – Here I Go Again
- MMM #27: AC/DC – It’s A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)
- MMM #28: Sia featuring Sean Paul – Cheap Thrills
- MMM #29: Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- MMM #30: The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
- MMM #31: The Beastie Boys – No Sleep Till Brooklyn
- MMM #32: Maroon 5 – Harder To Breathe
- MMM #33: Simply Three – Counting Stars
- MMM #34: Usher – Yeah!
- MMM #35: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop
- MMM #36: Paul McCartney, The Beatles – Birthday Song
- MMM #37: Michael Buble – Blue Christmas
- MMM #38: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen w/Adam Lambert – Dont Stop Me Now
- MMM #39: Nathaniel Rateliff And The Night Sweats – S.O.B.
- MMM #40: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- MMM #41: Nirvana and 2 Cellos – Smells Like Teen Spirit
- MMM #42: Cher – Turn Back Time
- MMM #43: Panic! At The Disco – Victorious
- MMM #44: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down A Dream
Week 44 Reader Picks
Thank you to everyone that commented last week. Not too many new songs submitted but both Paula and I very much appreciated the good wishes of encouragement.
- Mercy/Duffy from Paula Kaye at Neveradullbling
Keep ’em coming, I’m always looking for more to add to my Spotify Library and share with everyone!
Coffee and Stuff
Each Friday morning at global coffee HQ we have a 15-30 minute standing department meeting. It’s generally easy going with just high level updates and it always begins with a coffee overview and tasting led by 2 team members. It is done on a rotation so you come up to bat every couple months depending on schedule and availability. It makes for a fun way for those of us in technology to stay tuned to the business. And, it’s not always coffee…sometimes we may have tea or juice but it’s usually coffee. This week, it was my turn!
We went with the second in the single origin series – Colombia Nariño Supremo Coffee. Grown in the Andes mountains, it has less acidity than most South American coffees, though it is still noticeable, but blends well with an earthy almost walnut tone. It also goes really well with high quality dark chocolate. You can read more right here and it’s available for a limited time in most Starbucks retail stores.
I had a beer too last week…pretty sure I did 🙂
A Good Life Descender IPA in the standard Friday night Happy Hour Rock ‘n Roll Seattle Marathon glass. Deep and hoppy IPA that was actually quite strong but it didn’t stop me having another.
Time to add something to the list and wrap it up. Sometimes, I look for a song with some kind of inspiration or something related to the theme for the week or month. Maybe it’s the lyrics or related to some kind of life event or even social impact.
This week has none of that whatsoever – we’re going back to big hair, eyeliner, and lip-gloss for the fellas. This came on during a random play during a workout last week and gave me a chuckle so as we haven’t done a signature hair band in a long while, here’s a classic from Crue that has absolutely nothing to do with anything really 🙂
Motley Crue – Same Old Situation
- Marine Corps Marathon, Ooorah!! Have you ever ran it…what are you thoughts? We’ll be looking for some tips and tricks as we get closer.
- Do you have a favorite Starbucks beverage that I could maybe go try?
- 80’s Hair Bands, gotta admit I was a fan and had pretty much all the hits spinning at one time or another…bring back any memories? But, anything goes so if you got a song you want to share, shout it out regardless of genre.
‘Till next time,
Run safe, run strong, run happy!