Motivational Music Monday Catchup
Two weeks ago, I started this post with…”another week, another race, and another Wednesday publishing of the world famous Motivational Music Monday series.” Well, maybe world famous might be stretching it a bit. But it is cool to see the various hits on the site from around the world. You can check my recently published Monthly Miles and Dorky Data post for the evidence!
Work has been crazy at coffee central as I got word of a new project coming my way. With several reviews to prepare blogging time has been sparse. But, I’m slowly catching up a bit! I mentioned race. Two weeks ago was indeed a race weekend for us as we joined 5,000 other runners at the annual Seahawks Run At The Landing 12K. It was a super fun event. Obviously the theme is centered on the Seahawks and the 12s. For those of you not familiar with the sport, team, region, or religion…12s is the official designation of us crazy die-hard Seahawks fans.
But, back to the race. 12K is a bit of an odd distance so I didn’t take this one too seriously. I treated it more like a weekly tempo run and aimed for a 8:15-8:30 pace. It was an out-and-back with the midway point being a circuit of the amazing Seahawks training facility and practice fields. I finished in 1:03:56 for an average pace of 8:22 on a very scenic course that ran the rolling hills of Lake Washington Boulevard. It was a bit hillier than I expected but conditions were perfect, crisp and clear for the hour or so run.
There was plenty of fanfare with Seahawks linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis, Seagal cheerleaders, Blue Thunder, and Blitz the mascot getting the race started.
You can also check out my full race recap on BibRave.
Speaking of BibRave, I’ve also been busy completing some product testing. You might have noticed my last 2 posts were related to reviews of the Road ID Elite ID Wristband and the Eagle Creek Pack-It Active Sport bags. I enjoyed using and testing the new gear and it gave me an opportunity to get the review section of the site organized.
I also picked up a new Garmin! Seriously, I mean another GPS toy. If I didn’t work for the greatest coffee company on the planet, I swear I would be campaigning for a gig with Garmin! I’m not sure how many Garmin gadgets I have in the collection these days but Garmin, if you ever need an ambassador…raises arm enthusiastically!!
Here it is:
A Garmin Edge 520 bike computer. It went on sale in the US at the beginning of April and while our weather has not exactly been favorable to cycling, I couldn’t resist. I’ve made it out for all of two rides so far but it’s awesome. Look for some more details coming soon. It not only integrates with Strava, it gave me a 60 day premium membership upgrade to Strava…which, in turn, gives me even more running and riding stats, data, and metrics!
Music and Stuff
Time to take a look at the playlist. I think this list is getting a bit long so I’m likely going to move the historical list to a dedicated page. But, for this week it’s in the normal place.
You can find the Motivational Music Monday playlist on Spotify by searching my user name jamhar2016.
- MMM #1: OneRepublic – Love Runs Out
- MMM #2: Eminem – ‘Till I Collapse
- MMM #3: Pink Floyd – Run Like Hell
- MMM #4: Drowning Pool – Bodies
- MMM #5: Flo Rida – In the Ayer
- MMM #6: Lady Gaga – Poker Face
- MMM #7: DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
- MMM #8: Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
- MMM #9: Alien Ant Farm – Smooth Criminal
- MMM #10: Prince – Little Red Corvette
- MMM #11: Train – 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
- MMM #12: X Ambassadors – Jungle
- MMM #13: Garbage – Only Happy When it Rains
- MMM #14: Michael Buble – Sway
- MMM #15: Elvis and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Burning Love
- MMM #16: Fitz and the Tantrums – The Walker
- MMM #17: Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll
- MMM #18: A Flock of Seagulls – I Ran
- MMM #19: The Commitments – Mustang Sally
- MMM #20: Kongos – Come With Me Now
- MMM #21: Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
- MMM #22: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – If You Leave
- MMM #23: Adele – Set Fire To The Rain
- MMM #24: Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
- MMM #25: The Chainsmokers featuring Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- MMM #26: Whitesnake – Here I Go Again
- MMM #27: AC/DC – It’s A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)
- MMM #28: Sia featuring Sean Paul – Cheap Thrills
- MMM #29: Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- MMM #30: The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
- MMM #31: The Beastie Boys – No Sleep Till Brooklyn
- MMM #32: Maroon 5 – Harder To Breathe
- MMM #33: Simply Three – Counting Stars
- MMM #34: Usher – Yeah!
- MMM #35: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop
- MMM #36: Paul McCartney, The Beatles – Birthday Song
- MMM #37: Michael Buble – Blue Christmas
- MMM #38: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen w/Adam Lambert – Dont Stop Me Now
- MMM #39: Nathaniel Rateliff And The Night Sweats – S.O.B.
- MMM #40: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- MMM #41: Nirvana and 2 Cellos – Smells Like Teen Spirit
- MMM #42: Cher – Turn Back Time
- MMM #43: Panic! At The Disco – Victorious
- MMM #44: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down A Dream
- MMM #45: Motley Crue – Same Old Situation
Week 45 Reader Picks
Thank you to everyone that commented last week! Got a lot of likes and appreciation for the trip back to the hair bands of the eighties!
- Don’t Close Your Eyes/Kix from Chris at Random Thoughts from 5,347 feet
- Rocket/Def Leppard from Paula Kaye at Neveradullbling
- The Hustle/Van McCoy from Alpine Mikey at Alittlebitoutoffocus (inspired by a steel drum band heard while running the Zurich marathon)
Keep ’em coming, I’m always looking for more to add to my Spotify Library!
Coffee and Stuff
Starbucks has gotten a little media attention this past week with the limited time offering of the Unicorn Frappuccino. Anyone else notice it came out the week of the Boston marathon? Any significance – not really, though runners at Boston are said to be chasing the Unicorn. I’ll admit I never did try one even thought there was talk about it all week at coffee HQ. If you did happen to try one, I hope you enjoyed. It looks quite fabulous, I must admit.
My selections have been more centered on our single origin aged coffees…and a shortbread cookie here and there 🙂
Beer…that too. This weekend, I enjoyed a dark chocolate, coffee infused stout from one my favorite locals. This is a Feather Weather by Blackraven Brewery in Redmond. Apparently, they are hosting a Flock Party at their brewery in a couple weeks….hmmm.
The new Garmin cycling toy I mentioned gave me an idea for this week. You’ve seen many pictures of the trail that we are so fortunate to run and ride. Last year, I mounted Paula’s GoPro to the front of Bluey and went for a ride up to Arlington to shoot some extended video of where you will typically find us training.
Here’s the result – we have an access point less than 1/2 mile from our house. The full trail extends about 32 miles start to finish:
And, here’s the official video which is this week’s Motivational Music Monday selection.
Twenty One Pilots – Ride
- Did you chase the Unicorn, either at Boston or Starbucks?! Maybe you were racing in London, Salt Lake City, La Jolla, Iowa, or Olathe, Kansas – yes it was the Garmin marathon this weekend too 🙂
- Do you like to bike?
- Songs, coffee, beer, wine, anything else…you know the drill.
‘Till next time,
Run safe, run strong, run happy!