Motivational Music Monday on a Wednesday Birthday Edition
Where were we?!! Oh right, been a busy couple weeks and while I’ve been a bit absent from the blog recently, I have been doing my best to keep up with everyone on the reader. But, nothing like a Wednesday edition of Motivational Music Monday to get the ball rolling again. And, to mark the occasion, we’ll make it a birthday edition. That would be my birthday, yayyy!!! It’s not an age-group changer though so nothing too much to get excited about. The day started with an extra early leadership review so had to be at coffee HQ a bit sharpish. No celebrations planned for during the week though we will do something at the weekend.
I got some new sunnies courtesy of BibRave and XX2i. These will be my next product test and I gotta say they fit great and look kinda cool…pretty badass bandana too eh?!! 🙂 I have a 50% discount for those shades on my gear page.
I think I was more excited that today was designated rest day on my back to the final month of the Hanson’s training plan. You’ll recall, I changed my marathon plans so that my first 26.2 of 2017 will be at the North Olympic Discovery Marathon on June 4. Training dropped off a bit in April with just the half in Reno at the end of the month. But, now it’s time to resume the final month of the Hansons marathon plan, which happens to be about the hardest. Yay, for rest day after 6 straight days of running finishing with the 9 mile strength run last night. I’m not sure if backing off for a month in the middle of the plan will have a detrimental effect. I fear that it might but there’s only one way to find out and it’s full throttle in May.
I mentioned the half-marathon in Reno briefly, and I’ll keep it at that. In terms of overall race performance, it was one of my worst half-marathons. I hit pace in the first couple miles but was completely gassed. My heart rate was elevated and I could not maintain any kind of consistent pace on the rolling hills. I am certain that the altitude had a huge impact. Training at sea level and running at almost 5,000 ft is a huge transition. While I still finished in the top 30% it was a tough race. And, I won’t deny I struggled mightily. But, it’s in the rear view mirror and time to look ahead to the next challenge.
Training is back in full swing as I mentioned. We’ve even enjoyed a couple of sunshiny runs in the Seattle area the past few days. Back on the trail and in pursuit of the marathon PR!
I plan on writing a post about marathon goals this year. But, I don’t mind setting the stall and declaring that I am targeting a new marathon in PR in June. This requires a finish better than 3:59:55. Even, with the awful half-marathon result, I am hoping that my earlier training combined with a big running month in May will result in a great race in Port Angeles. And, if it doesn’t, then after a few beers and the normal post-marathon celebration, I’ll start planning the next attempt.
I have some catching up to do on the blog but not in a single mega-post. I don’t have time to write it all and if I did, noone has time to read it all 🙂 I haven’t forgotten the monthly recap – it’s halfway done and on the way. I also have an interesting Q&A lined up with a local running Doctor who has some great insight into running injury prevention and treatment. As well as touching on Breaking2 and Moonshots. But, for now, we need to take care of the standard agenda.
Music and Stuff
Time to take a look at the playlist. I think this list is getting a bit long so I’m likely going to move the historical list to a dedicated page. But, for this week it’s in the normal place.
You can find the Motivational Music Monday playlist on Spotify by searching my user name jamhar2016.
- MMM #1: OneRepublic – Love Runs Out
- MMM #2: Eminem – ‘Till I Collapse
- MMM #3: Pink Floyd – Run Like Hell
- MMM #4: Drowning Pool – Bodies
- MMM #5: Flo Rida – In the Ayer
- MMM #6: Lady Gaga – Poker Face
- MMM #7: DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
- MMM #8: Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
- MMM #9: Alien Ant Farm – Smooth Criminal
- MMM #10: Prince – Little Red Corvette
- MMM #11: Train – 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
- MMM #12: X Ambassadors – Jungle
- MMM #13: Garbage – Only Happy When it Rains
- MMM #14: Michael Buble – Sway
- MMM #15: Elvis and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Burning Love
- MMM #16: Fitz and the Tantrums – The Walker
- MMM #17: Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll
- MMM #18: A Flock of Seagulls – I Ran
- MMM #19: The Commitments – Mustang Sally
- MMM #20: Kongos – Come With Me Now
- MMM #21: Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
- MMM #22: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – If You Leave
- MMM #23: Adele – Set Fire To The Rain
- MMM #24: Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
- MMM #25: The Chainsmokers featuring Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- MMM #26: Whitesnake – Here I Go Again
- MMM #27: AC/DC – It’s A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)
- MMM #28: Sia featuring Sean Paul – Cheap Thrills
- MMM #29: Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- MMM #30: The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
- MMM #31: The Beastie Boys – No Sleep Till Brooklyn
- MMM #32: Maroon 5 – Harder To Breathe
- MMM #33: Simply Three – Counting Stars
- MMM #34: Usher – Yeah!
- MMM #35: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop
- MMM #36: Paul McCartney, The Beatles – Birthday Song
- MMM #37: Michael Buble – Blue Christmas
- MMM #38: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen w/Adam Lambert – Dont Stop Me Now
- MMM #39: Nathaniel Rateliff And The Night Sweats – S.O.B.
- MMM #40: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- MMM #41: Nirvana and 2 Cellos – Smells Like Teen Spirit
- MMM #42: Cher – Turn Back Time
- MMM #43: Panic! At The Disco – Victorious
- MMM #44: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down A Dream
- MMM #45: Motley Crue – Same Old Situation
- MMM #46: Twenty One Pilots – Ride
Week 46 Reader Picks
Thank you to everyone that commented last week! Got a lot of likes and nice comments for the bike ride video.
- Car Radio/Twenty One Pilots from Dorothea at Wanderwolf Running
- Lust For Life/Iggy Pop from Chris at Random Thoughts from 5,347 feet
- Sucker For Pain/Lil’ Wayne, Whiz Khalifa, and Imagine Dragons from Paula Kaye at Neveradullbling
- Twenty One Pilots from Fallon at SlackerRunner
Keep ’em coming, I’m always looking for more to add to my Spotify Library!
Coffee and Stuff
A couple weeks ago we were in the midst of the Unicorn mania with Starbucks getting all kinds of media attention. This past week, Frappuccino Happy Hour has been in progress. Half-price Frappuccinos from participating stores 3-6pm every day. Now, I will admit I’m not too much into the dessert type beverages on offer at the the world’s greatest coffee shop – I prefer the dark roast coffees and amazing blends. But, the summer Frappuccino season kicked-off with 2 signature flavors, one of which is a brand new offering that I had to try.
The Midnight Mint Mocha from the website;
We’ve paired the dynamic duo of dark cocoa and refreshing mint with our Frappuccino® Roast Coffee, milk and ice. Next we infuse the blended chocolatey beverage with cooling mint sugar crystals, cut in a layer of whipped cream, then top it with more whipped cream and a dusting of dark cocoa. Don’t wait to dig in: This chocolate-lovers dream is only here for a limited time.
And, yes it was that good!! Actually not too sweet and an amazing flavor. If you get a chance to try one, I highly recommend…and if you get a chance before May 14, it’s half price!
I usually pair a coffee selection with a beer that I might have stumbled upon over the past couple weeks. I found this gem in the local mart on Friday. Red Hook is a very popular brewery in the Seattle but I’d never seen this very rich and strong Imperial IPA known as a Big Ballard! Named for Red Hook’s roots in the Ballard area of North Seattle. Cheers!
I think I’ve probably mentioned that on my way home from the office, I pass Century Link Field, best known as the home of the Seahawks and Sounders. But, being a large stadium venue, it also hosts some pretty big-time concerts.
This Sunday is U2, the Joshua Tree tour. Unless we make a crazy spontaneous decision over the weekend, we won’t be going but Metallica, maybe…hmmm, think I might have to try to talk Paula into a crunching rockin’ date night 🙂 So, while we might not be hanging with Bono and the boys, here’s a great song from U2…whether you’re running, riding, following you passion, or just spending time with family and friends every day should be beautiful – like birthdays 🙂
U2 – Beautiful Day
- Your turn – running, racing, training plans right now?
- Do you remember the Joshua Tree album from 1987?!!
- Beverage of choice over the past week or so…beer, wine, Starbucks or otherwise.
- Song suggestions…shout them out!!
‘Till next time,
Run safe, run strong, run happy!