Where were we? Right, for most of last year and a good part of this year, I tried to post a weekly recap based (very loosely) on a song choice from the playlist and encouraged everyone to join the party. If I recall, we usually add some beer, coffee, and an anything else goes selection to the conversation as well. So, let’s do that again! I had to look back in the archives a bit for the last Motivational Music Monday. We left off with MMM #47 posted on May 10 – my birthday! Crikey, I guess my blog has been a little sporadic.
The past 2-3 weeks have been very frustrating from a running perspective. After finally shaking the effects of the lingering back issue, I had planned to return to full marathon training in August. I worked on gradually building the distance with several easy pace runs. Everything was great, then 2 miles into a long Sunday run at Green Lake, I felt the popping in my left calf. After 4-5 miles, I was reduced to a run, walk, hobble and gutted it out to 10 miles before stopping. I took most of the next week off from running and tried again the following Sunday with pretty much the same result. The new running shoes also wreaked blistering havoc on my heels to wrap up a not so great day!
Green Lake is a new running location for us. Paula is in the midst of her marathon build and we searched for some new locations to mix things up a bit. Green Lake is located in North Seattle. On an early Sunday morning, traffic is light enough that we can drive to the park in under 40 minutes. The trail is fully paved around the perimeter providing a nice 2.8 mile scenic circuit around the lake. There are lots of nearby facilities, restaurants, and, of course, a great Starbucks 🙂 We are enjoying the location and will visit a couple more times for our Sunday long runs over the next month.
Back on Ice
Back to the ice and rest routine for me. Though after (yet) another week the leg is finally feeling better. Last Thursday we headed north to Canada to explore the beautiful area around Whistler, British Columbia. As PK headed out on her 16 mile long run I was so tempted to join but had to hold off. I did manage a 5 mile walk. It was very nice, but honestly by mile 4 I was getting kinda bored. Just not the same.
Saturday, we had planned to ride the amazing mountain Gondolas to the top of Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. To cut a long and tedious story short, there was absolutely nowhere to park and the queue at the ticket line was insane. After a decent lunch in the Village we decided to rent bikes and spend the afternoon exploring some the lower trails. It was a great family outing and something that we will most certainly do again on a future trip.
Sunday Runday!! I couldn’t hold off any longer and planned a trail run to Lost Lake, just outside of Whistler. I figured if the calf was going to flare it would do it early and I would just make the deflated walk back – getting kinda familiar with that feeling this year! But, after a couple miles, other than feeling a bit out of shape, everything was going great. I ran through the Village and picked up the trail to Lost Lake. This was far hillier than I anticipated. I expected sort of undulating – errrr, not quite.
But, I got it done and made it back to the condo 11.265408 kilometers later – being in Canada and all, Google helped with the conversion from 7 miles 🙂 So, the good news is the leg held up on a pretty tough run over a decent distance. I’m not going to get too optimistic but I desperately need to get back to training. I’m way over my target weight…if you’ve seen my recent craft beer twitter/ig updates you’ll understand! I’m nowhere near any of the paces that I ran earlier in the year. But, if I can make it back to 3-4 runs per week for a month, I’ll be happy. I’m still not ruling out an attempt at a marathon PR in San Antonio in December. I’ll admit it’s not likely but not giving up just yet.
Hmmmm, what’s next? Oh yeah, the music and stuff bit….
Music and Stuff
Time to take a look at the playlist.
You can find the Motivational Music Monday playlist on Spotify by searching my user name jamhar2016. I have a few to add. Going to try to set it up on YouTube as well sometime, probably 🙂
- MMM #1: OneRepublic – Love Runs Out
- MMM #2: Eminem – ‘Till I Collapse
- MMM #3: Pink Floyd – Run Like Hell
- MMM #4: Drowning Pool – Bodies
- MMM #5: Flo Rida – In the Ayer
- MMM #6: Lady Gaga – Poker Face
- MMM #7: DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
- MMM #8: Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
- MMM #9: Alien Ant Farm – Smooth Criminal
- MMM #10: Prince – Little Red Corvette
- MMM #11: Train – 50 Ways to Say Goodbye
- MMM #12: X Ambassadors – Jungle
- MMM #13: Garbage – Only Happy When it Rains
- MMM #14: Michael Buble – Sway
- MMM #15: Elvis and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Burning Love
- MMM #16: Fitz and the Tantrums – The Walker
- MMM #17: Led Zeppelin – Rock And Roll
- MMM #18: A Flock of Seagulls – I Ran
- MMM #19: The Commitments – Mustang Sally
- MMM #20: Kongos – Come With Me Now
- MMM #21: Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
- MMM #22: Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark – If You Leave
- MMM #23: Adele – Set Fire To The Rain
- MMM #24: Green Day – Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
- MMM #25: The Chainsmokers featuring Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- MMM #26: Whitesnake – Here I Go Again
- MMM #27: AC/DC – It’s A Long Way to The Top (If You Wanna Rock And Roll)
- MMM #28: Sia featuring Sean Paul – Cheap Thrills
- MMM #29: Styx – Too Much Time On My Hands
- MMM #30: The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
- MMM #31: The Beastie Boys – No Sleep Till Brooklyn
- MMM #32: Maroon 5 – Harder To Breathe
- MMM #33: Simply Three – Counting Stars
- MMM #34: Usher – Yeah!
- MMM #35: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – Thrift Shop
- MMM #36: Paul McCartney, The Beatles – Birthday Song
- MMM #37: Michael Buble – Blue Christmas
- MMM #38: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody and Queen w/Adam Lambert – Dont Stop Me Now
- MMM #39: Nathaniel Rateliff And The Night Sweats – S.O.B.
- MMM #40: Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
- MMM #41: Nirvana and 2 Cellos – Smells Like Teen Spirit
- MMM #42: Cher – Turn Back Time
- MMM #43: Panic! At The Disco – Victorious
- MMM #44: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down A Dream
- MMM #45: Motley Crue – Same Old Situation
- MMM #46: Twenty One Pilots – Ride
- MMM #47: U2 – Beautiful Day
Week 47 Reader Picks
It’s only been 3 1/2 months but there were some contributions back in May – y’all didn’t think I would forget did ya 🙂
- Cedarwood Road/U2 from Dorothea at Wanderwolf Running
- It’s a Beautiful Day/Michael Buble from Paula Kaye at Neveradullbling
- Of Wolf and Man/Metallica from Chris at Random Thoughts from 5,347 feet
Keep ’em coming, I’m always looking for more to add to my Spotify Library!
Coffee and Stuff
You might know by now that I work for Starbucks at Global Coffee HQ in Seattle…and feel very fortunate to be where I’m at in my career. It’s been a crazy busy summer and we’ve rolled out all kinds of fabulous beverage options. Infused teas, to new coffees, nitro cold brew (well that came out last year but still) and fabulous flavors of frappuccinos. There is also a new food menu being launched called Mercato – amazing sandwiches and salads. We got to sample all of it a few weeks ago and it is currently available in some test markets. If you see it next time you are in Starbucks, I highly recommend taking a look.
As it’s still summer, I’m going with a Nitro Cold Brew with a shot of sweet cream. After a couple less than stellar runs at Green Lake, it was my go to beverage until happy hour!
Beer – haven’t been sidelined in this area. So many, I could put together an entire album. But, here’s a recent one from a summer trip that was fabulous. A HellDiver Pale Ale from Sockeye Brewing in Boise was probably the single best beer of the summer. Incredible flavor. Pretty limited to the Western States but if you are ever in Boise, be sure to pay them a visit if you like beer!
We’ve been to a couple great concerts since the last Motivational Music Monday. And, like the coffee and beer, I have some catching up to do. But, unless you live in a bunker that has been unplugged from the universe for the last year (in which case you’re probably not reading), we are about to experience a full solar eclipse. We’ll likely be on the road somewhere near Vancouver when it all goes dark. And, my apologies in advance, but can’t resist (and yes this sappy 80’s power ballad is on my playlist) – yell it out y’all!
Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse of the Heart
- Your turn – how’s your summer training going?
- Beverage of choice over the past month or three…beer, wine, Starbucks or otherwise.
- Song for an eclipse? Or anything that’s rockin’ your world right now is fine too 🙂
‘Till next time,
Run safe, run strong, run happy!